Field Notes Expedition 3 Pack
FNC-17 marks the start of our fifth year of our Quarterly Editions. In that time, we’ve explored a wide variety of papers, colors, and printing techniques, but with this new Expedition edition, for the first time, we’ve actually expanded the type of paper used in our notebooks.
Aesthetically, you’ll find an all-new design with plenty to like: a hi-visibility “Antarctic Survey Orange” front cover and “Polar Night Black” back cover, with a subtle varnish effect featuring a topographic map of Antarctica. The body pages feature our popular dot-graph paper printed in light gray.
But the real innovation here is the paper. It’s maybe not even fair to call it paper. The whole book is printed on Yupo Synthetic paper, an amazing water- and tear-proof paper extruded from polypropylene pellets in Chesapeake, Virginia.
Months of development and testing were required to get these books just right, and we’d like to thank Yupo for their extensive support, as well as the great printers and ink technicians that pitched in to help.
The majority of our customers may not test the limits of these books, but the map of Antarctica is neither hyperbole nor coincidence. We’ll be sending the Expedition edition to the South Pole with explorer Ben Saunders as he and his team retrace Captain Robert Falcon Scott’s ill-fated journey to the Pole and back, on foot and unsupported, starting in October 2013.
Note: Synthetic paper is nonporous and doesn’t absorb ink like our conventional papers. Ballpoint pens, pencils, or fine tip Sharpies work best.
- 01. Proudly printed by the good people of Stromberg Allen & Company, Tinley Park, Ill.
- 02. Cover: Yupo tear-resistant synthetic 74#C “Bright White,” with thick, brute force applications of “Polar Circle Gray” and “Hi-Visibility Orange” soy-based Superior inks, coated with a clear protective varnish.
- 03. Innards: Yupo tear-resistant synthetic 57#T “White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Cartographer’s Gray” soy-based Superior ink.
- 04. Cover and innards printed on a Man Roland 700 perfecting 40" 4-color press.
- 05. Bound by a Muller Martini “Bravo Plus” 4-pocket stream-fed saddle stitcher, with appreciation to Samuel Slocum, George W. McGill, and William J. Brown, the “Founding Fathers of the Staple.”
- 06. Corners precisely rounded to a ⅜" (9.5mm) radius with a Consolidated 250 hydraulic die-cutting machine.
- 07. Dot-graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm).
- 08. Memo book dimensions are 3½" × 5½" (89mm × 140mm).
- 09. Field Notes uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- 10. All Field Notes memo books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
- 11. UPC 858493003127